2022 EVENT POSTPONED
The George Bass Committee met on Monday, 2nd August 2021, and as a result have made the decision to postpone the GBM2022.
This decision has been made in consultation with several key stakeholders, with the current COVID-19 situation in mind the Committee’s decision was unanimous.
With the uncertainty around movement across Australia and New Zealand we cannot guarantee the safety of our competitors, their families and support teams, our Officials and each of our respective Communities.
Several other factors were taken into consideration,
· Sudden, lockdowns, border closures and enforced quarantine
· COVID-19 compliance – consideration of public health order around sport and events
· Lack of training, many of you have been unable to train for in the past year
· Square meter restriction campgrounds eg. at this point Tathra Country Club can only accommodate 70
· Campground facilities – rostering times for everyone to use them, cleaning etc
· Presentations - numbers of persons able to attend venues is extremely limited or non-existent
· And selfishly, the Far South Coast region has had very little exposure to COVID-19 and with the introduction of the large numbers of persons from the multitude of regions we were expecting to attend the GBM2022, the risk to our community, which has limited respiratory resources, is considerable.
We are also highly aware that many crews journeyed to the Far South Coast for the GBM2020 did so at great personal and financial expense only to have the event cancelled due to the bushfire emergency. We wish to avoid having to cancel it again and would much prefer to welcome you all back for a well-supported event, with high participation in all divisions and training regimes at their peak.
As a committee we have worked hard for the past 18 months to make the GBM2022 event something extra special after the bushfires and we share the disappointment that many of you will be feeling, we thank you for your understanding. We are also aware that some of you may not agree with our decision, we will not enter any debate regarding this matter.
Participants who have paid entry fees will be contacted in the next few days.
Information regarding GBM2023 (starting 02/01/2023) will come towards the end of this year.
Yours in Surf Lifesaving
On behalf of the George Bass Marathon Committee